How to differentiate osteoid and granulation tissue?

When doing early placement of implants(4-8wks), how do you differentiate osteoid and granulation tissue? I sometimes see yellowish tissue, and am concerned if the granulation tissue was completely scooped out by the previous dentist?

timcarter comments:

In my opinion it doesn't matter.... Unless a patient gets lost I never wait more than 6-8 weeks following an extraction with or without a graft to place a planned implant. I spend very little time scooping out granulation tissue and I have not found it to be a problem. In the event that there is granulation tissue and if it matters then I rely on the body's wound healing capacity to remodel and it seems to work better than any mechanical method I have discovered. Not the academic response you probably anticipated but it is the truth based on my experience and again unless there is some sort of miscommunication I rarely wait longer than 6-8 weeks after an extraction to place a fixture.... regardless of the status of the extracted tooth....
1 Like

Usually, if I inherit a case that has graft in the ext site, I wait a total of 6 months for the graft to fully harden. Having said that, if I perform an ext, I do not graft if I know I will be placing an implant within 6 months as I would rather prepare my osteotomy in immature native bone than in a soft graft. MHO