Dry Socket Paste substitute?

There seems to be a shortage of dry socket paste. My favorite was from Sultan. Anyone have suggestions for a substitute or componding?

Robert Jenkins comments:

Alveogyl by Septodont is hard to beat.
1 Like

Michael Sitters comments:

I believe the FDA removed that product from the USA market many years ago. If I am mistaken please let me know where it can be purchased here in the the US. Since Sultan's Dry Socket Paste is not available I use Prescription Eugenol placed on plain 1/4" sterile gauze packing straps

Tim Carter comments:

I was not aware that any of the pastes were worth a flip since they all just wash out and taste horrible. I am a fan of good technique to minimize the situation but when necessary it is hard to beat eugenol on gauze

Pankaj Narkhede DDS MDS comments:

Alveogyl is awesome
2 Likes

Aquiles Mas comments:

I’m with Tim on this. 👍

In Australia- we use alvogel. It’s the best

In regards to Tim’s comment, all dry socket cases can not be avoided “due to technique”. A big factor is patient compliance with post op instructions. Unfortunately, when one has to deal with a certain clientele (I.e. some underserved……or ones that have cognitive issues….) dry sockets may be unavoidable
Our clinic has a place for this post op treatment when needed

It would appear that Tim only suggested that good technique would reduce the occurence so I think it would be nice if you read the comment before posting. I agree with him that they all taste like sh*^ and wash out and that good technique can dramatically reduce the occurence. They are unavoidable in some cases and that is why, at least this is how I interpret his comment, eugenol on gauze is suggested as an alternative.

Ingredients for Dry Socket Paste:

1. 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil.
  2. 15 drops clove oil.
  3. 1/2 cup honey.
  4. 1 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric.