Bone Regeneration of Extensive Socket Defects with Immediate Implant Placement

This case involved a 70-year old male who presented with a failing bridge in the lower right posterior quadrant. Radiographically, severe bone loss surrounding 28 and 29 was noted. After removal of bridge, the expected resorption of ridge in the edentulous area was also revealed. Implants were placed in 28 and 30. GBR was performed using DALI Mineralized Cortical Cancellous Allograft covered with OsseoSeal.

Primary closure, a key to successful GBR, was achieved periosteal release and adapted the flaps. 4 months post op, you can see excellent bone regeneration even considering the extent of the original bone defects. As discussed in the video presented, following the principles of GBR, which includes staying within the confines of the alveolar housing will lead to predictable results. 

Bone Regeneration of Extensive Socket Defects with Immediate Implant Placement 1

Bone Regeneration of Extensive Socket Defects with Immediate Implant Placement 2

Bone Regeneration of Extensive Socket Defects with Immediate Implant Placement 3

Bone Regeneration of Extensive Socket Defects with Immediate Implant Placement 4

Bone Regeneration of Extensive Socket Defects with Immediate Implant Placement 5

Bone Regeneration of Extensive Socket Defects with Immediate Implant Placement 6

janci comments:

Sorry doctor, but I cant see picture showing extent of bone regeneration on the vestibular. Also not enough keratinized tissue around. JZ

timcarter comments:

Dan, I really enjoy seeing the cases that you post and I hope you keep it up. I do have a question regarding your apparent use of multiple implant systems. I have noticed at least 4 different manufactures products being used in your cases and I was wondering if this is a function of you working in an academic setting or if you actually utilize various systems within your private practice. Years ago I used to try different products but as my perio practice matured I settled on Zimmer TSV for everything as maintaining multiple inventories became too cumbersome...