Below is a great Q&A on Benacel Dental Dressing a dressing that is made from biocompatible oxidized cellulose and contains no chemical additives.
Below is a great Q&A on Benacel Dental Dressing a dressing that is made from biocompatible oxidized cellulose and contains no chemical additives. Q&A is with Tommy Murph DMD, who provides advanced hands-on extraction training courses.
- I’ve used Benacel for over 7 years, and mostly for the prevention of Dry Sockets.
Prior to BenaCel® Dental Dressing, what products did you use and why did you decide to switch to BenaCel® Dental Dressing?
- Prior to Benacel I used Gel-Foam mostly. Benacel is so much easier to use and costs less.
There are several configurations of BenaCel®. How do you decide which configuration is preferred for each case?
- Very Simple…Size One (5X7) is for small conical sockets, Size 2 (15x15) is for lower molars and buccal roots of upper molars, Size 3 (6X8) is for Large conical roots and sinus perforations
- Very Easy too use. Many new BenaCel® users don’t put it in deep enough. You have to pack it down into the socket so it doesn’t come out
- It varies from 1 to 2 weeks, or more, depending on the amount of BenaCel® used and bleeding conditions.
After placing BenaCel® in the socket, do you retain the material with sutures? If so, what sutures do you use and how do you place the sutures to retain BenaCel®?
- Only if there is a sinus perforation to prevent the material from dislodging into the sinus space. Chromic Gut is my suture of choice and I run the suture through the hole in the size 1 and 3 BenaCel® before closing a sinus perforation.
- BenaCel® is mandatory for any patient on a blood thinner. Just common sense that you want to do everything possible to get a clot and maintain a clot in this patient group.
- I use it mainly for dry socket prevention, but you can use it to TREAT a dry socket that presents to your office by cleaning the socket, packing with BenaCel® and then suturing the socket closed.
- Never, on the contrary we have had some patients report to us that they had STOPPED smoking and wondered if the material had any chemical composition that would make them not want to smoke. As far as I know it doesn’t, but we tell them Congratulations, glad we could help you stop smoking.
Dr. Murph is in private practice in Conway, South Carolina since graduating from the Medical University of South Carolina in 1993.
I have removed tens of thousands of teeth and know that I can teach you do to the same. Many consider me an expert with a 301 elevator, I like to think that I know how to use a 301 elevator and I would love to help you learn how to as well. I use a high speed surgical handpiece when needed and can remove upper wisdoms with a crane pick only most of the time in under a minute. With knowledge you can too. Learn more at: https://www.weteachextractions.com/